Student Leaders for the 2019-20 academic year selected

UNC-Chapel Hill’s independent student newspaper, The Daily Tar Heel, and its communications agency, 1893 Brand Studio, announced new student leadership for the 2019-2020 academic year. Rising seniors Maddy Arrowood and Tyler Pollack will assume the roles of editor-in-chief and advertising director, respectively, of The Daily Tar Heel, and rising senior Molly Looman will serve as […]

It’s #savestudentnewsrooms day

Dear DTH Alumni and friends, It’s one of those beautiful April days in Chapel Hill, when anything seems possible. So, on #savestudentnewsrooms day, I’m asking you all to help The Daily Tar Heel save itself. It’s been another tough year for the financial models that support student journalism, nationwide. The ad revenue that supports many […]

Schedule of events for the DTH’s 126th birthday celebration

The deadline to buy tickets is Friday, Feb. 15 at 5 p.m. Daily Tar Heel’s 126th Anniversary Speakers Friday, Feb. 22 2 p.m. to 5 p.m.: Open House at the DTH Office. The DTH moved in February 2018, and it was a giant mess during the 125th birthday celebration. This year, we want you […]

SAVE THE DATE: Let’s celebrate our birthday on Feb. 23

The Daily Tar Heel will wrap up a year celebrating its 125th birthday by turning 126 on Feb. 23, 2019. And we are inviting you to celebrate with us. On the weekend of Feb. 23, alumni from all generations will gather in Chapel Hill to celebrate our beloved student newspaper’s past and help plan for […]

Sharif Durhams ’99 elected president of the Association of LGBTQ Journalists

Sharif Durhams was the first African-American editor-in-chief of The Daily Tar Heel in 1998-99. This fall, he became the first black president of The Association of LGBTQ Journalists. Durhams works for CNN as senior editor for news and alerting (yes, that means he makes decisions about the CNN homepage and when to send out breaking news alerts). He […]

DTH125 by the numbers

Registrations for The Daily Tar Heel’s 125th birthday ends Feb. 16, so you still have time to join in the fun. A few interesting details about the attendants so far. 2000 The class year with the most registrations so far, at 11. 1979 and 2017 The runners up, at 10 registrations each. 24 Editors-in-chief attending […]

The Next 125 Years Conference speakers and sessions!

The Daily Tar Heel’s 125th birthday celebration Feb. 23-25 is more than just a reunion: we’ve assembled some of the smartest communicators and thinkers in media today to lead two days of discussion and debate at our conference, dubbed The Next 125 Years. We’re just under six weeks from the big weekend. Today, we’re releasing […]

‘Talking to someone who was in my exact same shoes’

In Fall 2017, the DTH Alumni Association debuted a mentorship program that paired nearly 60 alumni with student mentees. Mentor-mentee pairs have chatted on the phone and over email and are preparing to meet in person during the 125th birthday celebration. Two current DTH students, University Editor Leah Asmelash and Audio Editor Cole del Charco, […]

‘Extreme levels of effort for ordinary stories’ mark award-winning year

Jane Wester didn’t work countless hours as editor-in-chief of the DTH last year in order to win any awards. She cared more about documenting UNC’s response to sexual assault cases and making a national championship newspaper that will hang in homes across the state for years. But she was still excited in October to learn […]