Celebrate the eternal youth of The Daily Tar Heel with shirts and mugs

The quote If you worked at the DTH in the last 20 years, you’ll remember the quote that was posted across the top of the newsroom wall in old Union newsroom, and across the top of the conference room in the current room. It came from the 1993 Centennial Edition of the newspaper, in an […]

Sarah Brown: Why you should go to the DTH Birthday Weekend

By Sarah Brown Class of 2015 Why you should go to the Daily Tar Heel Birthday Weekend on Feb. 17-18 (tickets here) Chapel Hill. I don’t think this reason needs an explanation. Amazing professional development events, including speakers from CNN, the Washington Post, the Boston Globe, and Pro Publica, as well as yours truly. At last year’s […]

Preliminary lineup released for DTH birthday conference sessions!

Mark your calendars for Feb. 17-18 — The Daily Tar Heel’s 124th birthday party and conference, hosted by the DTH Alumni Association! It is already shaping up to be a jam-packed weekend, full of discussions on the journalism landscape with some of the most innovative journalists in the business. See below for the preliminary schedule of the […]

DTH wins 2016 Newspaper Pacemaker

By Erica Beshears Perel Class of 1998 Sports was one of the biggest stories that The Daily Tar Heel covered in 2015-16 — from continued fallout of the athletic-academic scandal to the basketball team that was one Villanova basket away from the national championship. So it’s no surprise that the Pacemaker entries for the DTH under Editor-in-Chief […]

‘At last!’ Brian Cassella captures Cubs’ historic win

By Kellen Short Class of 2010 The Cubs’ first World Series title in 108 years called for a remarkable front page, and DTH alum Brian Cassella helped the Chicago Tribune deliver a grand slam. The photojournalist credits preparation, teamwork and old-fashioned luck for allowing him to immortalize the Cubs’ victory in photos, helping the […]

Alumni share memories about Lisa Reichle and Stacy Wynn

Compiled by Sara Gregory More than 50 years of combined DTH experience and love left The Daily Tar Heel in September with the departures of Stacy Wynn and Lisa Reichle, part of the newspaper’s ongoing financial problems. Alumni wrote in to say what Stacy and Lisa meant to them:   I think what makes an institution […]

Nominations open for the 2017 Distinguished Alumni Award

By Jon Ostendorff Class of 1999 CHAPEL HILL – The Daily Tar Heel Alumni Association wants DTH alumni and friends to tell us about who they believe should be the next winner of the Distinguished Alumni Award. Nominations are currently being accepted; self-nominations are also welcome. Edwin Yoder took home the first award during the homecoming […]

Get your campaign coverage from DTH alums

By Kellen Short Class of 2010 Here’s something to agree on this divisive election season: it’s always best to read campaign stories written by DTH alumni. Alumni from all areas of journalism and news outlets great and small are covering the 2016 elections. Three reporters, representing a wire service, an online news company and a large metro, […]