Schedule for DTH 127th birthday celebration

Register Here by Feb. 16!!

Schedule of Events

Friday, Feb. 21
2-5 p.m. Open House
The Daily Tar Heel offices, 109 E. Franklin St. Suite 210
Get a tour of the DTH offices, offer resume/portfolio critiques to current students and get a professional headshot from the 1893 Brand Studio team. Birthday cake will be served. Email paige@dailytarheel.com to volunteer to do resume/portfolio critiques.
5 p.m. Happy Hour at Linda’s Bar and Grill (Cash Bar), 203 E. Franklin St.

Saturday, Feb. 22
9 a.m. Registration and Check-in
Freedom Forum Conference Room, Carroll Hall, Hussman School of Media and Journalism
Coffee and pastries, merchandise and raffle ticket sales

9:30 a.m. Welcome
Introduction of DTH Student leaders and professional staff, board members and special guests.
Erica Beshears Perel, DTH general manager

9:40 a.m.-10:30 a.m. break-out sessions
The 1893 Brand Studio: How we did it!
The 1893 Brand Studio started four years ago as an experiment, and it’s on track for its best revenue year ever. Meet the talented students behind some of our most successful client campaigns, and hear how they transformed their student experiences into marketing campaigns for local businesses.
Keaton Swanzy, campaigns team leader
Angie Shen, graphic designer
Nick Valego, campaign strategist
Garrett Bolter, graphic designer
Sarah Clark, storyteller

Elections 2020: Tar Heels Vote
For many journalists and their readers, the 2016 elections coverage got a lot wrong. Too much emphasis on polling and prognosticating or horse-race coverage. Newsrooms planning 2020 coverage are looking for a different path, one that foregrounds the information needs of the community members and aims to make them high-information voters. Scott Sharpe, a veteran photojournalist for the News & Observer will discuss “Journey into the 100,” a video project that took viewers into the state’s 100 counties to find out what they care about. Anna Pogarcic from The Daily Tar Heel will discuss the DTH’s plans to meet student information needs in 2020.
Scott Sharpe, News & Observer
Anna Pogarcic, City & State Editor, The Daily Tar Heel

10:40-11:30 a.m.: 127 years and counting: the Future of News
Every year in this media landscape is worth celebrating. In this panel, we’ll discuss trends in journalism, including philanthropic donations and reader revenue such as the Rivalry Challenge, the role of news organizations in building community.

Erica Perel, The Daily Tar Heel GM
Dana Anthony, Fundraising and Donor Engagement Specialist
Emily Siegmund, DTH co-editor in chief
Chrissy Beck, GM, the Chronicle at Duke

11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.: The Silent Sam Settlement and The Daily Tar Heel

This panel will be an insider look at the DTH’s reporting on the UNC settlement agreement with the Sons of Confederate Veterans and the newspaper’s decision to file an N.C. Open Meetings lawsuit to challenge the legality of the settlement. The panel will be moderated by Amanda Reid, media law professor and First Amendment expert at the UNC Hussman School of Journalism and Media and a member of the DTH Media Corp. Board of Directors. Panelists include:
Hugh Stevens, class of 1966, media law attorney and partner with Stevens Martin Vaughn & Tadych
Marco Quiroz-Gutierrez, co-editor-in-chief, The Daily Tar Heel
Charlie McGee, class of 2020, director of investigations at The Daily Tar Heel
Maeve Sheehey, class of 2021, university editor at The Daily Tar Heel

1 p.m. Free time!
Take the afternoon exploring campus and Chapel Hill.

6 p.m. Dinner party
Ballroom, Hampton Inn Carrboro
Cocktail hour, followed by dinner.
The 2020 Distinguished Service Award will go to Madeline Will and Jennifer Surane of the DTH Alumni Association Steering Committee. Maddy and Jenny were the driving forces behind the creation of the Association and the annual birthday celebration.
The 2020 Distinguished Alumni Award will be presented to Keynote Speaker Rochelle Riley. Rochelle was inducted into NC Media Hall of Fame in 2019. As a columnist, Rochelle was a leading voice for children, education and competent government at the Detroit Free Press from 2000 to 2019. She is author and editor of “The Burden: African Americans and the Enduring Impact of Slavery” and the upcoming book “That They Lived: Twenty African Americans Who Changed The World.”

Members of DTH classes celebrating milestone anniversaries will also be recognized.

Posted in Uncategorized.