Preliminary lineup released for DTH birthday conference sessions!

Sharif Durhams discusses digital strategy at the 2016 conference. Photo by Erik Perel

Mark your calendars for Feb. 17-18 — The Daily Tar Heel’s 124th birthday party and conference, hosted by the DTH Alumni Association! It is already shaping up to be a jam-packed weekend, full of discussions on the journalism landscape with some of the most innovative journalists in the business. See below for the preliminary schedule of the weekend, which is still evolving. Buy your tickets with an alumni registration here.

PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT

WHAT’S NEXT PART 1: What’s the big idea?
Innovative journalists, thinkers and funders, including Ariel Zirulnick of The New Tropic in Miami and Fiona Morgan of Free Press, will present a big shareable idea in a lightning-round session, and then will host breakout conversations to discuss how other people and newsrooms can adopt it. Got a cool project or big idea to share? Email alumni@dailytarheel.com.

News: The Next Generation

They worked at The Daily Tar Heel during or immediately after the Great Recession, when the journalism world was blowing up. Now they are blowing up journalism by pioneering new storytelling tools, new business models and new ways of finding audiences.

Students and alumni packed the Freedom Forum to hear Sharif Durhams speak. Photo by Erik Perel

Rape and the Campus

Susan King, dean of the UNC School of Media and Journalism, moderates a discussion with DTH Editor-in-Chief Jane Wester, Duke Chronicle editor Claire Ballentine, the Chronicle of Higher Education’s Sarah Brown and other First Amendment experts about the challenge and responsibility of covering sexual assault.

Freelancing, Fellowships, Funds, Oh My!
Everything you ever wanted to know about freelancing, starting side hustles, winning money to work on a dream project, taking your journalism skills outside the newsroom and more. Entrepreneurs including Laura Amico (Homicide Watch, Harvard Business Review), Jennifer McDonald (NYTimes Book Review, freelance editor), Hasit Shah (BBC, Ketla, paid content freelancing) and Grant Halverson (Grant Halverson photography). 
Way beyond spellcheck: How to be a great editor
 Want to be an editor? Some of the best in the business – Courtney Rukan from the Washington Post, Jenny Abella from Washington Post Magazine and Jen McDonald, a former editor at the New York Times Book Review — will discuss their work.

Covering a Trump Administration

A panel of influential journalists who are covering and editing coverage of Donald Trump will discuss how their coverage has evolved to report on an unprecedented president-elect.

Twelve editors-in-chief attended the 2016 Alumni Homecoming. From left: Erica Beshears Perel, Sharif Durhams, Paige Ladisic, Hugh Stevens, Jenny Surane, Edwin Yoder, Kelly Ryan Gilmer, Andy Thomason, Erin Zureick Dunn, Andrew Dunn, Todd Cohen and Wayne Hurder. Photo by Erik Perel

WHAT’S NEXT PART 2: What’s your problem?
Journalists all have challenges in their newsroom, or a project they want to work on but aren’t quite sure how to get started. Our friends and colleagues, including Hasit Shah (2014 Nieman-Berkman fellow, Ketla) and Chrissy Beck (Duke Chronicle) will offer real talk about their biggest unsolved problems — professional, entrepreneurial, technical — in a lightning-round session, and then will break into brainstorming sessions. Want to present your “problem?” (We’re especially interested in hearing from younger journalists who are trying to break in and make connections.) Email alumni@dailytarheel.com.

SOCIAL EVENTS

Happy Hour at Linda’s
Join alumni from across generations at The Daily Tar Heel’s favorite bar.
Milk and Cookies with The Baby Radicals
The Daily Tar Heel, once dubbed a nursery for “baby radicals,” has a rich history of scandal, comedy and revolution. Stay tuned for an inspirational, hilarious night of storytelling. This event will be ticketed separately, details to come.

Maddy Will presents Ed Yoder with the Distinguished Alumni Award. Photo by Erik Perel

Lunch/Watch Party at Hickory Tavern

UNC men’s basketball will take on the University of Virginia at the Dean Dome. If you don’t have tickets to the game, watch with your DTH friends at Hickory Tavern in Carrboro.

Dinner/Awards at R&R

We will honor our 2017 Distinguished Alumnus, give updates on the current state of The Daily Tar Heel, and raffle off prizes, as alumni from many generations have a chance to meet and/or reconnect over dinner.

Matt LeClercq and Michael Workman talk during the dinner party. Photo by Erik Perel

Posted in Uncategorized.