Giving and Donor Engagement Specialist
Come help us build the future of the free press!
The Daily Tar Heel is the nonprofit independent student newsroom at UNC-Chapel Hill. Every day, the student journalists, account executives and media makers at the DTH tell important stories (including the ones powerful people would prefer they didn’t), build community and figure out the future of news one story at a time. When they graduate, they’ll take what they learned to top media outlets throughout North Carolina and the world.
As the economics that sustained independent local journalism shift, this innovative nonprofit newsroom is looking to donations from alumni, friends and foundations to support its crucial training ground.
The giving and donor engagement specialist will be employed by DTH Media Corp. and will work with the General Manager to turn donations into a sustainable and reliable revenue source. The specialist will promote The Daily Tar Heel on campus, in the community and with alumni, and manage and grow important donor relationships.
Compensation includes hourly salary and bonus, and includes vacation. The giving and donor engagement specialist has established work hours at The Daily Tar Heel offices and reports to the General Manager. DTH Media Corp is an equal opportunity employer committed to building an inclusive, collaborative and respectful workplace.
Send a resume, cover letter and work samples to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be reviewed as they are received.
Summary of essential job functions
- In consultation with the General Manager and Board of Directors, plan and execute Start the Presses, The Daily Tar Heel’s annual giving campaign that includes direct mail, email, social media campaigns and events according to a 12-month plan.
- Work with the general manager and the Board of Directors to create and implement a monthly donation plan that fits into the annual strategy.
- Work with the student storytellers at the DTH to develop and produce donor impact stories, student profiles, annual reports, videos and social media and email campaigns.
- Use donor-management software to streamline acknowledgements, pledges, credit card donations, email campaigns and goal tracking.
- Develop fundraising events and work to create donor experiences within existing DTH events to increase donor engagement.
- Build and maintain relationships with friends, alumni and donors to DTH Media Corp.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field
- Relevant experience in giving and donor engagement
- Strategic planning experience
- Computer literacy/experience with Word, Excel, database management, donor management software
- Demonstrated record of success in a goal oriented, team environment
- Creative and strategic thinker
- Strong work ethic
- Excellent listening skills
- Ability to craft solutions based on needs assessment.
- Ability to keep information confidential.
- Excellent presentation and public speaking skills.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure of multiple deadlines and assignments.
- Ability to generate reports, business correspondence and presentations.
- Ability to work with, mentor and advise college students.
- Ability to effectively respond to questions from donors, alumni and students.