#DTH125 starts at our 2017 Summer Networking Events

The Daily Tar Heel Alumni Association’s summer networking events are back for Summer 2017.

The Alumni Association is holding six summer networking events — our traditional Summer BBQ plus five events in major east coast cities. These summer evenings will be an excellent opportunity for alumni to meet current DTH students who are interning in their cities, meet and network with each other and learn more about what’s happening with the greatest college newspaper in the land.

And in case you hadn’t heard: Said greatest college newspaper in the land is celebrating its 125th year of publication. The celebration starts this summer and will culminate with a gala weekend February 23-25, 2018. You’ll be able to buy tickets to the birthday weekend during the summer events.

Register below to help us plan.

July 2: Boston
The Field Pub, 20 Prospect St., Central Square, Cambridge, MA
2-4 p.m.
The Field’s walled patio is a familiar watering hole for Boston journalists. Hasit Shah (BBC, NPR, Nieman-Berkman fellow, Knight prototype grantee), Jeff Shaw (Fulbright judge, Sierra Club communications), Laura Norton Amico (MJ Bear, Nieman-Berkman fellow, Harvard Business Review) and Chris Amico (Frontline) and DTH executive director/GM Betsy O’Donovan (Nieman fellow) will hold “office hours” to talk about how to find funding for creative projects. Cash bar.

July 12: New York City
Slattery’s Midtown Pub, 8 East 36th Street. New York, NY 10016
6-8 p.m.
Slattery’s is known as a UNC bar, and it sells beer in Blue Cups. New York Times reporter Emily Steel will be giving a short talk. Steel’s reporting on Bill O’Reilly led to his ouster at the network and was detailed in this Marie Claire article. Cash bar.

July 13: Washington, DC
The Capitale, the Washington Post building bar, 1301 K Street, NW 20071
7-9 p.m.

Terri Rupar, the Post’s national digital editor, will speak at the event about what digital journalism even means in 2017. Cash bar.

July 19: Charlotte
Charlotte Observer, NASCAR Hall of Fame Building, 550 S. Caldwell Street, Charlotte NC
6-8 p.m.
The DTH Alumni Association and the Media and Journalism Alumni Association are teaming up for this event, which will feature a panel discussion called “Why Local News is Worth Fighting For.” The event will include Susan King, dean of the School of Media and Journalism. Panelists include Charlotte Observer Executive Editor Sherry Chisenhall, WBTV anchor Molly Grantham, Charlotte Five Editor Katie Toussaint, Charlotte Magazine Associate Editor Adam Rhew and DTH reporter and Observer intern Jamie Gwaltney. Please register by July 17.

July 20: Atlanta
The Buckhead Club, 3344 Peachtree Road, Suite 2600, Atlanta, GA 30326
5:30-7 p.m.
Our first-ever Atlanta alumni event will be in the Meridian Ballroom at the Buckhead Club. Help us build our Atlanta alumni base by spreading the word to your DTH alumni friends and colleagues.

July 22: Chapel Hill/Triangle area

Erica’s house, 2317 Oakhurst Trail, Hillsborough, NC 27278
4 p.m.-until
The traditional DTH Summer BBQ will be the Triangle’s summer event. This event is family-friendly! Please bring your kids. BBQ and fixings provided. BYOB